Finally, here's a new dance mix. I mentioned this one in my year-end mix post:
Download: Disco: The Sound of Now!
- Kathy Diamond - All Woman
- In Flagranti - What Are You Doing After the Orgy
- Putsch '79 - Doing It (Major Swellings' Full Trommis Mikks)
- Escort - Love in Indigo (Extended)
- The Source featuring Candi Staton - You Got the Love (Dirk Dreyer Remix)
- LSB - Original Highway Delight (Mungolian Jet Set's Miami Camp Mix)
- Jahcoozi - Ali McBills (Robert Johnson 6am X-Ray Italo Rework)
- B.U.R.N.E.D. - Discodrome (Vonkeil Remix)
- Love Supreme - Rocquet
- Mr. Pauli - Satisfaction
- Black Devil Disco Club - I Regret the Flower Power
- Jupiter Black - We Like Moroder (Divider Remix)
- Maarten Van Der Vleuten - Eltec (Rude 66 Gortex Remix)
- The Black Ghosts - Face (Switch Remix)
- Sally Shapiro - I'll Be By Your Side (Rude 66 Hard Remix)
- Newcleus - Jam on It (Claude Von Stroke and Galen Disco Kryptonite Remix)
- Casco - Cybernetic Love 2006 (Dexter Remix)
- Boys Noize - Feel Good (TV Off)
- Stars on 33 - I Feel Music in Your Heart (Lifelike and Kris Menace Remix Extended)
My interest in disco (particularly of the Italo variety) is like sea monkeys -- it takes only a shot of something to revive it. In this case, it was Clone Records owner Serge's Vintage Future mix that got me right back into it. And so, I was inspired to compile my own recent disco favorites (with some electro popping in from time to time). The mix posted above isn't really an all-encompassing retrospective of the throw-back disco sounds of 2006 -- most of the stuff comes from the last half of the year. I just love that, if you look hard enough, you can find a thriving new supply of disco. It never died, it just got sort of shy (which may explain why people are gagging over Sally Shapiro's twee Disco Romance -- it's a working example of how technology has made media so tangible. Even big, banging dance music can be introverted, because you needn't so much as to move your ass to access and enjoy it. Disco Romance just makes sense).
Pay special attention to Black Devil Disco Club's "I Regret the Flower Power," which is the best title of a disco song ever. Hands down. Seriously. And if we're talking regrets, I'm kicking myself for not putting BDDC's 28 Later on my Jackin' Pop ballot. It's a great, weird, occasionally frightening release, and it was only after 2006 ended that I realized how much I loved it. Isn't that always the way?
So, if you're still keeping your New Year's resolution, work out to this. Or, may I suggest that you dance like this to it?
In fact, may I suggest that you dance like this to everything from now on? Please?
[Respect where it's due: OHMYGOSH.SE tipped me off to the bangin' "Jam On It" remix, twentyfourhours provided my life with the Switch remix of the Black Ghosts' "Face" -- another favorite of mine -- and the image used at the top comes from a lighting design created by my good friend James Clar. His work gets me more excited than grindin' on the dancefloor ever could.]