I'm sure by now you've seen the video for ANTM 5 contestant Lisa D'Amato's song ("song") "Ace of Spades." It's part-fun, part-offensive in a lame-white-person-does-hip-hop kinda way (offensive not because of race matters but because it takes our collective sense of humor to be outdated. Like, we're still expected to laugh at that? Didn't that joke get old with "I'm Barney Rubble and I'm here to say / I love Fruity Pebbles in a major way..."?) and utterly insistent. Seriously, "Standing here with no fear," had been buzzing around my head like flies to a dirty diaper all week. Anyway, if you missed it here it is:
The reason I'm sure by now you've seen this is most likely you've sent me an email with the link to this that starts, "I'm sure by now you've seen this..." Thank you, all 500,000 of you! But for real: I appreciate such heads-ups.
And here's some more random stuff:
- Since, not unlike ANTM's Heather, I'm on a delay (incidentally, I'm also not unlike Rock of Love's Heather in that I like to pull my tits out at will), I'm just now getting to spreading the word that I took part in the Rockcritics Music Blogger Symposium that was posted last week. My homegirl Maura (of Idolator and herself), the illustrious Simon Reynolds, David Moore, Carl Wilson and I all answered questions about the state of the music blogosphere, if you will. I think I'm probably the least academic out of all of them, and I'm OK with that. Anyway, it's long but interesting especially if you like reading the word "blog" repeatedly.
- Here's my favorite paragraph of the week: "When it comes to free speech, we need to let a hundred flowers bloom. We need to chill. We need to stop being pussies." It's from Kurt Anderson's latest Imperial City column in New York. Those three sentences basically contain the point of my post-Imus rant from April, just, you know, succinctly.
- [Jaslene voice] This is my life... [/jv]
- I'm feeling the fuck of this song right now (and most of new Róisín Murphy album, for that matter). Also seriously obsessed with the Aeroplane Remix of Coyote's "Too Hard". That I'm completely digging a neo-disco track that veers so closely to MOR lite rock can only mean one thing: I'm getting old.
- I want to have two-minute monkey sex with Prince Harry's vodka-snorting partner.
- Conversely, I do not want to have two-minute monkey sex with ANTM 8's Jael, who was spotted at this year's Burning Man Festival by John F., the boyfriend of the absolutely amazing April Winchell. He snapped pictures for me and all of you below. Enlarge with caution -- she's naked. And hula-hooping. And wearing Ugg boots. But then again: of course she is.