At last, I offer a new mix -- almost 90 minutes of late-'80s/early-'90s midtempo dance music that I call:
No Enigma (right click + download)
It's so named because I could not bring myself to include anything from the weird drum-machine druids that helped define the sound I'm exploring here. They seem crucial and yet...well, go back and try listening to them. You get pan flutes. I'm sparing you.
Anyway, I think it was really interesting that for a stretch of time, post-disco dance music was not really defined by its tempo (this mix doesn't get faster than 116 BPM and mostly hovers around 105). It's definitely similar to Cosmic in that way, although I think I kind of like this take on slowed-down dance even more because it seems trashier. Basically, this is the sound of malls and cassingles to me. Obviously, it all holds a very, very significant place in my heart.
Track list after the jump! Don't be too pissed about me leaving out M/A/R/R/S' "Pump Up the Volume" and Maxi Priest's "Close to You." I just wasn't feeling them. You can be a little pissed, though since I know you care so much about my track list!
- Soul II Soul "Keep On Movin' (Club Mix)"
- Sybil "Don't Make Me Over"
- Sybil "Walk On By (Club Mix)"
- CeCe Peniston "Crazy Love (A.R. Mix)"
- Mary J. Blige "Reminisce (Driza Bone 12")"
- George Michael "Freedom '90 (Back to Reality Mix)"
- Soho "Hippychick (Extended)"
- The Belle Stars "Iko Iko (12" Mix)"
- Siouxsie & the Banshees "Kiss Them for Me"
- Soul II Soul "Back to Life (Club Mix)"
- Lisa Stansfield "All Around the World"
- DNA featuring Suzanne Vega "Tom's Diner (12")"
- Nikki D "Daddy's Little Girl"
- Janet Jackson "That's the Way Love Goes (C.J. R&B 12" Mix)"
- Tara Kemp "Hold You Tight (All Night Extended Mix)"
- Seduction "(You're My One and Only) True Love (The Hot 7" Mix)"
- Snap! "Oops Up (Other Mix)"
- PM Dawn "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss"
- S.O.U.L.S.Y.S.T.E.M. "It's Gonna Be a Lovely Day (Pop Radio Edit)"
- Madonna "Justify My Love (Orbit 12" Mix)"
- Seal "Crazy (If I Was Trev Mix")
- Army of Lovers "Obsession (Schizoperetta Mix)"
- Saint Etienne "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
- Inner City "Whatcha Gonna Do With My Lovin' (Master Reese Meltdown Mix)"
- Frankie Knuckles featuring Shelton Becton "It's Hard Sometime (David Morales Classic Club)
- Black Box "Open Your Eyes"
- Vanessa Williams "The Comfort Zone (Frankie's Comfortable Mix)"
- Lisa Stansfield "Change (Frankie Knuckles Mix)"
- Electribe 101 "Talking With Myself (Frankie Knuckles 12" Mix)"
- Queen Latifah "How Do I Love Thee?"
- Massive Attack "Unfinished Sympathy"
Frankie Knuckles' mix of "Change" is sublime y/y? Best thing he's ever done in his starred career? Listening to it so much while working on this mix made me think so.